the great mat off usa versus norco

Stick">
6 messages - 5864 views

I now have two mats to compare. A fourth Gear Flyer (FGF)from the good old US of A and out The NORCO area NSW at Lennox Head a Krypt Mat.

Anybody that is interested I plan to do a comparison report on the abilities of each.First infoFGF multiple models to choose from with a weight guide shipped from California at US $165 for base model. Model for test = Tracker Round Tail.

Krypt model is the Krypt model US$150

The inspection test will be tomorrow. On first appearances there are some differences in materials and valves.Ask your questions, I might be able to perform the test.Also emailing the two contenders of my intent and hopefully my feedback.

Happy old fart!

Well many tomorrows have passed and finally the mat off occurs!

All was good for a test of both models, at half inflation or under, swimming out is the option the less the inflation the easier to get out! The formula I had back in the days of Hodgemans etc was to have the mat at a riding inflation of being able to be bent at right angles across the centre point. This enables the rail to rail ( not really applicable to a mat) flexing that gives your concave for high speed planing across the face and a soft corner to grip to pull you around for the tightness of turns. This also gives a variable concave flattening out to the tail.OK Inflation two different valves. The Krypt a one way valve that helps you inflate more in the water, there could be concerns with sand in the valve as there is no sealing cap only a pressure relief cap that you insert.

After feedback from Mark at Krypt the cover is designed to be stretched and a very tight fit on the valve stem I tried it and with a little more muscle than I was using it fitted

My answer is to keep your equipment clean.The Fourth Gear Flyer has a mouth to mouth valve and an insertion plug. By mouth to mouth I mean you blow and then as fast as you can, insert the plug, not a problem if you go over your desired inflation and then be prepared to lose a little air as you plug in much the same as the old style mats. Did notice a little leakage if I didn't push the plug in hard enough. Again keep valves clean applies.

Now the test, a reasonable right hander about five foot but hey it's all overhead on a mat!

The FGF was first out I weigh 222lbs/100kgs smaller mat but it was like a really controlled body surf but able to hold a cleaner faster line for longer and outrun the lip over a greater distance, getting caught behind the white water test involved releasing the concave by lifting my elbows, and sweet, I slipped sideways to the bottom of the white water and re-engaged the concaves and began tracking to the open face again. The response was a little slower than I would like but this was probably because I was hauling my weight on a smaller mat.Where the FGF came into play well was in throwing it around in tight turns and the textured fabric was both flexible and tough enough to give me that good grip to chuck a good turn both at the top and bottom of the face.

Would I recommend the FGF? Yes however I would suggest that larger surfers look at their bigger models as the main issue was the hydro drag created by my own body not any problems with the mat.The fact that it was capable of responding and doing everything I asked of it even under extra weight gave it an AA+.

Next the Krypt mat. A larger model and different fabrics with no cloth textures, gripping was a little different and was more of a scrunchy grip.No problems there, rode more onto this mat than the FGF and had a better planing surface because of that, not about the mat here but my choice of size I imagine wetted surface to wetted surface ( if the same ) would be almost similar in surfing.Once again full maneouvrability maybe a litle different in the the top turns Would I recommend the Krypt ? Yes same rating AA+ all round and it is my choice for my body size, and that?s the only reason, I will continue to use both and carry them in the car for when I need a quickie.Mats are now much lighter in materials than the old days and the material appears technically stronger time will tell. I can?t afford to do a destruction test on these babies.Destruction tests were done on other mat like devices available they were sort of cheap kiddies toys and blew apart but at the cheap price and Taiwanese type construction what could you expect.I would not recommend either mat as a boogie board substitute they are in fact a more advanced wave riding machine, I suspect that if you could achieve airs on them the landing could finish them off but for full barrel runs and wall wailing these are the craft to go to.In good hands you can outrun almost anything else across the wave.

Thanks to Paul Gross of Fourth Gear Flyers and Mark Thomson of Krypt Surf, full marks guys.

big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilehejkealllo?hejkealllo?

Happy old fart!

Well, it?s amazing. The miracle has been done. Hat?s off. Well done, as we know that ?hard work always pays off?, after a long struggle with sincere effort it?s done.

==========vernoncheap trucks

[url=http://www.sexyeditor.com]cheap trucks[/url]

I think he's selling trollsroyce wagonsunhappy

Happy old fart!

Pity he is not selling us air mattresses. Or beater leasing it.

How about mat off in next Sunday in Sydney? We have one boogey board (huge, like a mini-mat) and one more craft like that, but maybe one more surfcraft, with more air then mattress, will definitely fit the agenda smile

"I have developed a very limited ability to harness the earth's energy and use it to travel at high speeds up and down a moving surface of water. Pretty cool." Unknown

Sorry Xentrix I missed my chance theresurprise

Could have been good as it was as flat as down here. Mats create some interest but so many don't have the guts to front up in the surf on one.

Happy old fart!

You must be registered or logged in to post to this topic. Login/Register