rolled bottom noseriders

Stick">
12 messages - 8232 views

Anyone ridin traditional style malibu ?

I have a quiver , Miss Metallica a solid heavy 9ft pintail for the my shape and design, can carry single fin or outriders.A modern 9ft lightweight model nose concave to twin concaves rolled to centre rolland a traveling Pope bisect same shape as the light weight, All good tunes me up to go from one to another. My shortboard is an 8ft version of MCtavish's blue in a modern configuration 1 to 3 fin set ups but no quading?I'll post you a pic of miss Metllica she's the traditional girl.

Happy old fart!

Hey Jaffa, I'm doin a new rider and ,basically, its copied from a'66 . Its just lighter (20lb-25lb maybe). only changes are = reduce fin from 12" down to 9"..........move fin from 2" off the tail to about 4" off the tail ( maybe put a 10" slide box)...............................any ideas on that ????

Tigers, put in the slide box that will give you the shift in fin positioning to tune your understanding of where it works best.Old stuff here i would suggest develop a series of fins in that range 12" to 9" if you go longer play with foil and flex. At the extreme end of flex the greenough type based on tuna fins they provided this sudden catapult to the top of the wave after a bottom turn but were not durable could snap in half on a full rail bottom turn.Bamboo matt and/or carbon fibre spring to mind.We used to foil our own fins with an angle grinder.If you do length and flex change area at base of fin.Watch the loss of weight too light and the board won't punch through under white water unless you keep drive on it ( this is often a criticism of the epoxy longboards).Welcome to the path down which we experimented all those years ago.

Happy old fart!

yep, everything that is old is new again

Only when you eat the peanuts outta my sheit

yep, everything that is old is new again Wish that applied to mesmile

Happy old fart!

..........all in the mind Jaffa !

You're right Tiger, it actually makes me feel good to think that I'm older and have been surfing longer than the age of fathers of the guys I'm surfing with.I was born in the first half of the last centurywicked I'm still doing Indo and Pacific Islands and quite a few spots on my bucket list and lots of time to do them.When I look at my non surfing contemporaries I feel both mentally and physically younger.It's all good and as it should besmile

Happy old fart!

Noserider finished ! It was finished 2 months back...haha! I made the blank ( fom 10' balsa logs I put aside) and didn't get around to shaping it . It was profiled and contoured, top and bottom ,with the planshape cut...ready to turn the rails , then a local shaper checked it out,and made an offer I couldn't refuse ! I'll just have to wait for the next one. The board was based on a '66 Gary Birdsall original,I made a few changes, but not too much. Took some roll out of the bottom - moved the fin to 4 1/2 from the tail and used a 9" fin instead of the original 12". She weighed in at 16lb, with 6oz bottom and 10oz on the deck,which is about 1/2 the weight of the original . Although I won't get to ride it, I did see it just after it was polishedbig_smile......9'6" by 23 1/2" by3 1/8".........stringerless balsa.....nice !

Sounds like a sweet ride Tigers. Any pictures?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

You must be registered or logged in to post to this topic. Login/Register